Posts Tagged ‘Form 4868’


Free Tax Support for Our Troops….

In Accounting & Finances,Business,Taxes on March 23, 2012 by Sufen Wang Tagged: , , , , , , ,

Military personnel tax themselves to help their country, so their country is helping them with free tax return preparation assistance. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program provides low-to-moderate-income soldiers and their spouses with free tax advice, tax preparation, and return filing. And our troops don’t have to travel far for this help: VITA sites are located everywhere, from libraries to shopping malls. This means less time fighting numbers and traffic, and more precious time with their families. 
The Armed Forces Tax Council is the name to know for military-related tax problems. It doesn’t matter if you’re a soldier on land, sea, or in the sky: the AFTC directs military tax programs worldwide and has program coordinators for the Marine Corps, Air Force, Army, Navy and Coast Guard. With VITA, they provide volunteers who are ready to help you solve common tax issues and also answer any military-specific tax questions you may have. These are the people to ask about combat zone tax benefits or Earned Income Tax Credit guidelines. Just head to a military-based VITA site with all of your relevant identification and financial information
Things can get a little hectic while protecting the country and filing taxes might be the last thing on your mind. There are filing extensions that the military personnel need to be aware of and take an advantage of.  Check out the Extension of Deadlines section of the Armed Forces Tax Guide, Publication 3, along with the extension Form 4868; these documents will provide some breathing room for our military families. The IRS is doing what it can to make taxes as painless as possible for our troops. 
On the Money,
Sufen Wang
Wang Solutions