Lighten Your Tax Load:

In Accounting & Finances, Business, Taxes on June 1, 2014 by Sufen Wang Tagged: , , ,

5 Credits to Reduce What You Owe

TaxTime_lgIf you’ve been around for a couple of decades, you probably owe lots of people lots of different things. Some debts can be measured in dollars, while others can’t even be put into words, and many will never be paid off. We all keep moving down this uncertain river as best we can, trying to keep our feet from getting too wet. But owed taxes are cut and dry: pay them, on time, so you don’t get swamped. Tax credits help take a load off the amount of taxes you owe. And with some credits you may still get a refund, even if you owe no tax.

Write The Earned Income Tax Credit in permanent marker on the back of your hand. Then start filing your 2013 tax return. You don’t want to miss this refundable credit for people who work without earning a lot of moolah. The EITC can boost your refund by as much as $6,044. Eligibility depends on your income, filing status, and the number of children in your family, but single workers with no dependents may also qualify for the EITC.

MH900435055Kids are lovely bundles of joy, but they’re also a lot of work. For each qualified child (under age 17 in 2013) you claim on your tax return, The Child Tax Credit can reduce the taxes you pay by up to $1,000. Then you can use that money saved to take everyone to Disneyland.

Speaking of work, a 9 to 5 job keeps rolling even when the little ones don’t have to go to school. (All this makes you wanna’ be a kid again, huh!?). The Child and Dependent Care Credit helps you offset the cost of daycare or day camp for children under age 13. But this credit isn’t just for kids – you might also be able to claim the costs of care for a disabled spouse or dependent.  

fat-piggy-bank-webThe Saver’s Credit is strictly for those individuals who have their sights set on the future. No, this is not a tax credit for fortune tellers: the Saver’s Credit actually helps workers save for retirement. If you made $59,000 or less in 2013 and contributed to an IRA or retirement plan at work, you could be eligible for this one.

MCj038257700001This credit’s been mentioned several times before, but important things bear repeating, and college students are especially important (just ask them). The American Opportunity Tax Credit helps you offset college costs and is available for four years of post-secondary education. It’s worth up to $2,500 per eligible student enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period. The only way you can get it is to file a tax return and complete Form 8863, Education Credits. What’s that noise? Oh it’s just the American Opportunity Tax Credit knocking – and it sounds like money.

Sufen Wang, M.S.Accountancy
Wang Solutions, Long Beach, CA (562) 856-0793
Editor: Hannah Huff, M.F.A. Creative Writing: Poetry, (626) 806-5805

One Response to “Lighten Your Tax Load:”

  1. some really quality articles here, saved to fav.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: